shark fishing banner

Bait Cannon / Potato Cannon / Spud Gun / etc.

TEXAS, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, ALABAMA SHARK FISHING; NORTH CAROLINA, SOUTH CAROLINA, AND GEORGIA SHARK FISHING; FLORIDA SHARK FISHING; AUSTRALIA AND SOUTH AFRICA SHARK FISHING; Padre Island, Matagorda, Bryan Beach, Grand Isle. Cape Hatteras, Cape Lookout, Emerald Isle, Murrels Inlet, Pawley's Island, Charleston, Edisto, St. Simons. Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, Key West, Sebastian, Palm Beach, Pensacola, Panama City. Australia and South Africa Shark Fishing. Tiger, Mako, Thresher, Hammerhead, Bull, Blacktip, Dusky, Sandbar, Sand Tiger, Great White, Lemon, Nurse, Blacknose, Bonnethead, Spinner, Finetooth.

Bait Cannon / Potato Cannon / Spud Gun / etc.

Postby presbychuck » Wed May 16, 2012 4:52 pm

I already did a search on this, but thought I would bring it back up since it has been a few years ago.

My current physical limitations have had me thinking about how to be able to fish. I went out on Monday and really struggled to try and get a bait out more than a few yards. My problems are these... right now I have a broken left foot with an external metal fixation device (think halo for a broken neck and screws going through the skin kinda deal) that prevents me from being able to get wet. THat means no yakking, no wading, etc. I also have a separated right shoulder. THat means not much strength yet (only been a month) to try and cast a small rod much less anything of substance. Really, about all I'm good for is to sit in a lawn chair and real in less than monster fish that I can deal with sitting down and mostly left handed.

So, I was thinking spud gun and did a search on the web and came up with that SHore Shot launcher from Far Out Fishin. However, their unit was $800 (out of my league) and besides, they appear to be out of business. However, I am a capable fabricator and inventor and can engineer and build my own equipment, and common sense told me that a metered propane setup would be the way to go for portabilty and ease of use. However, it seems that Texas has made THAT type of device illegal IF it actually propells any kind of payload (even a fish or ray). Well, that still leaves something similar to the Compressed Air Cannon that these other guys developed (though I would use a better triggering system I think).

The problem is, I can't find anything that tells me if THIS kind of launcher would be legal for use in Texas or not. DOes anyone here have any idea?
presbychuck

Re: Bait Cannon / Potato Cannon / Spud Gun / etc.

Postby toothycrittergetter » Wed May 16, 2012 5:56 pm

i would think it would be ok. being it not combustible. but i have no idea
toothycrittergetter

Postby presbychuck » Wed May 16, 2012 6:30 pm

THat's kind of my thought, but I'm allergic to getting into trouble with the Fish and Game boys. I've read that Texas beaches are considered like highways (they do not allow not tagged vehicles) and shooting anything from a roadway in Texas is prohibited. So I'm a bit confused, but would love to know. May just have to call the TPWD to find out.
presbychuck

Postby Dorsal Dan » Wed May 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Keep it simple and hit the piers. 8)
Dorsal Dan
Daniel Sherman
Daniel Sherman

Postby jeremyevans81 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Before we bought our first kayak, we got desperate for distance and tried a three man water balloon launcher...........not such a great idea!!! :shock:
jeremyevans81

Postby presbychuck » Thu May 17, 2012 2:54 pm

Piers are out of the question for a solo trip. I cannot travel nor can I carry so staying within a very few (like 10) feet of my truck is essential. I can hop on my one good foot a little bit, but that knee is suffering too. I only have one arm so wheeling the wheelcahir any distance, even on a smooth surface, is extrememly difficult and taxing. And then there's the issue of gear, pole(s), cooler... nope, I cannot pier fish for what's simple for folks who can walk and carry is not for me at this time.

What I CAN do is park in the sand, hobble about a tiny bit holding onto the roof rack of the SUV to place a chair or get a drink, and I have a functional left arm/hand and right hand. From that perspective my only BIG issue is casting. By the time I learn to cast lefty, I will probably be well. But even then casting is seated so I do not fall and thus I cannot get but a few feet out.

Even if a slingshot worked with three people, I am not three people. THough I can only cast a few feet, I did catch a few fish in the weeds the other day. Even if that is all I can do, I will try to do that. But it WOULD be nice to at least be able to cast to the first bar or better yet, beyond it. I simply have a few month long handicap while I heal up and would like to figure a way to make the most of it. If this is all I can do, then... well, it's all I can do. But IF I could do more, then I want to do that.
presbychuck

Postby baggyspandex » Thu May 17, 2012 3:59 pm

just post up on here whenever u are going, i am sure there are many people who would be willing to help you out on the sand and cast and kayak for you (myself included) what can i say we have team spirit out the arse and will help out a fellow TSF'er :cheers
baggyspandex

Postby presbychuck » Thu May 17, 2012 4:25 pm

THanks bro.
I don't need anything yakked out really. I couldn't deal with much of a fish right now if I hooked it. But close to or past the first bar would be great. LOL
My biggest problem is I can usually only go on Mondays and MOST normal folks are at work. THis past Monday the wife was off (she's usually off Wednesdays) and so she went with me. But she can't cast fer nuttin. LOL On the other hand, she did bring the ice chest to me and chased me up stuff out of the SUV. What a gal. :mrgreen:

Right now I am hoping to get out for a few hours this Sunday or maybe all day Monday. But I probably won't know until Sunday. I go almost exclusively to Matty too, so that may not trip too many folks trigger, I don't know. RIght now the beach cam looks dreamy. http://www.gomatagorda.com/matagorda-beach-webcam/
presbychuck

Postby baggyspandex » Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 pm

well if you ever make a trip to the galveston or high island sides of the sand i would be more than happy to help ya out. im free on weekdays for the summer so just let me know
baggyspandex

Postby christian » Thu May 17, 2012 5:06 pm

jeremyevans81 wrote:Before we bought our first kayak, we got desperate for distance and tried a three man water balloon launcher...........not such a great idea!!! :shock:

A couple years ago I built a giant slingshot for a guy who couldn't yak due to an injury. It would launch bait way further than I could cast. Worked ggreat but was dangerous. In testing we were using 10 lb dumbells. One caught in the pouch...nailed my buddy right in the face! K.O. lucky to be alive if you ask me. The only other mishap was my stupid fault. Launched a 2 liter coke and it came back to hammer me right in the goods. I think it can be done. But I wont cuut the release string.
christian

Postby presbychuck » Thu May 17, 2012 5:23 pm

baggyspandex wrote:well if you ever make a trip to the galveston or high island sides of the sand i would be more than happy to help ya out. im free on weekdays for the summer so just let me know

Thank you very much Mr. Spandex. :D
One of these days I may just make that trip and maybe by then I'll be able to tote my own weight. Thanks again. You're a prince. :king

chuck
presbychuck

Postby presbychuck » Thu May 17, 2012 5:28 pm

christian wrote:
jeremyevans81 wrote:Before we bought our first kayak, we got desperate for distance and tried a three man water balloon launcher...........not such a great idea!!! :shock:

A couple years ago I built a giant slingshot for a guy who couldn't yak due to an injury. It would launch bait way further than I could cast. Worked ggreat but was dangerous. In testing we were using 10 lb dumbells. One caught in the pouch...nailed my buddy right in the face! K.O. lucky to be alive if you ask me. The only other mishap was my stupid fault. Launched a 2 liter coke and it came back to hammer me right in the goods. I think it can be done. But I wont cuut the release string.

YIKES! That's scary stuff right there.

I wonder if a wrist rocket couldn't fling a small bait without sticking a hook in me or anyone nearby. LOL My wife could run it maybe if she's around. I can't pull on anything. I'm certainly giving a smallish version of that compressed air cannon some thought. Simple, easy to operate one handed, more than adequate for the job and cast length coupld be adjusted with air pressure. But as a pastor of a church, it wouldn;t be fit for me to get in trouble. I'm going to call TPWD and ask some advice I think.
presbychuck

Postby Voughtrodder » Fri May 18, 2012 9:20 am

christian wrote:

I'm curious to know how you built that slingshot.....
Voughtrodder

Postby Big Guns » Fri May 18, 2012 4:18 pm

If you find out the law let us know.
Big Guns

Postby wild child » Mon May 28, 2012 9:50 am

I hear potato guns are illegal.
and the one i saw didnt shoot very far anyway.

j
wild child

Postby toothycrittergetter » Mon May 28, 2012 2:26 pm

my buddy has a tater canon. that thing will shoot a tater out of sight. :idea: if you figure the air one out post it . id like to see the setup. :wink:
toothycrittergetter

Postby presbychuck » Mon May 28, 2012 9:04 pm

wild child wrote:I hear potato guns are illegal.
and the one i saw didnt shoot very far anyway.

j

I can't seem to fins a real answer to this question. I have a judge to talk to next.

Potato guns are not illegal in Texas until you launch a projectile with them (lke a potato). As long as all you use them for is making noise and flash of fire, they are legal as fireworks or pyrotechnics.

As for the compressed air cannon, I can;t get a straight answer. Law enforcement folks are almost unanimous that it would be illegal, but they can't cite why other than "dangerous", "it's a big bore weapon" etc. Since paint ball guns are legal (even for shooting at your friends), why not a bait cannon. It's been done and this one is patented even and sells for $800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6tB0R0X ... ure=fvwrel

I have the materials to do something similar (not a replica), but still am waiting to fins out about the law if I can. Meanwhile, I cannot cast past the first bar with this shoulder and since I cannot get in the water. At least I'm still catching some fish. Caught some whiting and black drum 20' off the shore today. Terribly muddy though.
presbychuck

Postby greensubmarine » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:15 am

Don't know how much this helps but I will leave this here....

The Texas distributor of the above mentioned bait cannon has held a few demonstrations of the device on Crystal Beach. Each time the Sheriff's Department showed up but never seemed to give him any flak. I would assume that as long as you treated such a device with the same respect you would any firearm, not pointing it at people and such, you should be fine. They have been using it on Texas beaches a bit recently and even did a couple write ups on it in the newspaper for crystal beach.

http://www.crystalbeachlocalnews.com/?p=3542

http://www.crystalbeachlocalnews.com/?p=6668

Wikipedia Says: Combustion spud guns are considered firearms in the state of Texas, however this is not using combustion to propel the bait.
greensubmarine

Postby STXTOPWATER » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 am

I have always wanted to make something like that just seems dangerous. i like the idea of freezing the bait hook and weight together to fit snug in the pvc the first problem i see with that is keeping it that way seeing as the high for today is 108. Maybe dry ice... As for the slingshot F that lol good way to lose an eye. Now a catapult would be interesting, no way for the bait to come back at you. Yep new project
STXTOPWATER

Postby Burned Thumb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:11 am

I'm 76 yrs. old , and don't get around like I used to , so I'm kind of in the same boat. I can still cast , but only can make 35-40 yds , tossing a big bait. What I have come up with is a type of spud gun , that works quite well. Using it , I can send out a fairly large bait ( for casted gear ) , about 80 yds. Thus far I haven't had a second look , from passers bye , while on the beach. I'd be glad to give you , or anyone else , the spec's on the setup if you're interested . It's kind of long winded , so I won't go into it unless someone is realy interested. It's hairspray powered.
Burned Thumb

Postby STXTOPWATER » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:20 pm

Post some pictures if at all possible im very interested. I will be in my garage tonight trying to make a catapult.....Ijust grabbed a strut spring from the shop should be very interesting.
STXTOPWATER

Postby greensubmarine » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Back when I first came across mention of that system, I thought about buying one... till I looked up the price. I ended up building a similar device only a bit larger. So far the best distance I've figured I've been able to shoot bait is roughly 200 yards. This is not the 300 yard range they boast about but still further than I can cast.
greensubmarine

Postby Burned Thumb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:46 pm

greensubmarine wrote:Back when I first came across mention of that system, I thought about buying one... till I looked up the price. I ended up building a similar device only a bit larger. So far the best distance I've figured I've been able to shoot bait is roughly 200 yards. This is not the 300 yard range they boast about but still further than I can cast.

What is yours powered by ? I use Aquanet hair spray . When I was researching this , I found that it was impossible to overcharge the gun , because if you do , it wont fire because of lack of oxygen . I have actually had this happen . How large a bait and sinker can you send 200 yds ? I can only make 80 yds. with a 1-1 1/2 lb. bait , and 4 oz. sinker.
Burned Thumb

Postby Burned Thumb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:07 pm

STXTOPWATER wrote:Post some pictures if at all possible im very interested. I will be in my garage tonight trying to make a catapult.....Ijust grabbed a strut spring from the shop should be very interesting.

I don't know how to post pictures , but if you will look through old posts , in the pier / dock/ kayak forum, there is a post with the subject name of "How far can you sling your rig?" It's dated Jan. 27 . I have a full explanation of how my system works , there. Also , if you're on Facebook , Look at my photos . Larry Kunas
Burned Thumb

Postby greensubmarine » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Mine uses compressed air. I have a couple of those 12 volt air compressors one from harbor freight and another from Walmart. The Walmart one will pump it up to about 110 psi then it seems like it is struggling. My boss and I discussed the possibility of just carrying an air tank since they can hold ample psi, but I never was quite sure where I could go to have it pumped up with my schedule.

I did a frozen mold thing like them, but my molds seem to be bigger to me. I think mineare 2 inch by 8-12 inches long. Not sure how much my weights weighed.... I made a mold at work. And I was shooting a 12 inch mullet. Keeping everything moving as one unit seemed to give better results. We tried a couple different configurations and ended up just snapping the line and sending the weights flying off by themselves when trying to let the weight pick up the bait when exiting the tube.
greensubmarine

Next

Return to INTERNATIONAL LAND BASED SHARK FISHING FORUM