shark fishing banner

Question for Upper Texas Coast anglers

TEXAS, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, ALABAMA SHARK FISHING; NORTH CAROLINA, SOUTH CAROLINA, AND GEORGIA SHARK FISHING; FLORIDA SHARK FISHING; AUSTRALIA AND SOUTH AFRICA SHARK FISHING; Padre Island, Matagorda, Bryan Beach, Grand Isle. Cape Hatteras, Cape Lookout, Emerald Isle, Murrels Inlet, Pawley's Island, Charleston, Edisto, St. Simons. Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, Key West, Sebastian, Palm Beach, Pensacola, Panama City. Australia and South Africa Shark Fishing. Tiger, Mako, Thresher, Hammerhead, Bull, Blacktip, Dusky, Sandbar, Sand Tiger, Great White, Lemon, Nurse, Blacknose, Bonnethead, Spinner, Finetooth.

Question for Upper Texas Coast anglers

Postby Bernie4 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Need some imput from those that fish the Galveston/Bolivar area frequently. I am looking for my 2nd rig purchase.

I am wondering what do I do next? Or should I say which rig would get the most use on the upper coast?

Currently have a Penn 9/0 on a 5'6" Mariner spooled with 500yds-80# Big Game. For bait rigs, I have 2 spinners. I have a Shimano Spirex 4000RG on a 7' Ugly Stick and a Mitchell Riptide 70 on a 7' rod also. Line capacities are 200yds-10# and 180yds-20.

I'm not very good, make that horrible, casting a baitcaster. So that makes me squeemish about picking up a Senator 4/0 and getting a surf rod to try for surf casting for sharks. Or do I get a 6/0 wide which costs more than a 9/0 and yak 'em or go with another 9/0.

Basically, looking to make my next rig one that will get used every trip so as to get the best bang for my buck. Also, maybe I need a better bait rig, or one of the Daiwa 9000's. I don't know but would appreciate the input.

Thanks for the help, Bernie4
Bernie4

Postby fish-n-agg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Alot of the reels that we use are smaller compared to what most use. Our usaull spread consists of 2 6/0 wides, mine is loaded with 500 yards of 80lb braid and 250 yards of 80 mono. The other is loaded with 130lb braid topshoted with 80 mono with a total line capacity of about 600 yards or so. Every now and then we put out the 9/0 and the daiwa 900. The rest of our reels our smaller avet lx, 4/0, 4/0 wide, a abu 10000 and we used to take out a 3/0 wide before it got stolen. You can get plenty of line capacity out of all of these reels if you spool them right and all have enough drag to stop most of what you will catch in Galveston. I like to back mine with braid and top it off with mono. The nice thing about the 4/0, 3/0 wide, avet and the abu is that you can put them on a surf rod and cast them off the piers and jetties. Out of all of these the abu has the least amount of line with around 400 to 450 yards of line. IMO for the Galveston area 10/0 and up just seems like over kill to me. Hope that helps.
fish-n-agg
Galveston Sharkfisherman
Galveston Sharkfisherman

Postby redfishrunner » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Bernie:

Will talk to you more on this on Friday if you can make it...Sounds to me like you need one or two good surf casting outfits now. I can show you some of mine and then make your own choice but I have a Penn Squidder a 555 as well as an Abu Garcia 10000 on 10' FTU surf rods. On the upper coast you need a good surf rod and reel for the Red, Black Drum as well as sharks that you can cast to in the surf. Sounds like you have everything you need to get bait out on a yak. And if you like, we can get together on any given day you like and we can go to White Rock and let you throw some of mine and get you used to it and give you some pointers. I am no where near as good as some of the Dig-on-Me crew but I can get it out there when I need to. Be glad to help you out. Come take a look Friday and see what you thing brother.

Mike from Dallas
redfishrunner
Surf Master
Surf Master

Postby Bernie4 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:12 pm

Thanks agg, that does help.

I will definitely be there Mike! One of the reasons I'm excited to be there is so I can see all your surf fishing gear.
Bernie4

Postby aceshooter01 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 pm

for casting gear, i would put it on a 10-12 foot rod, be it a 4/0, 555, squider, or avet, if you have a yak, i would definatly get a 4/0 or 6 wide and yak them out.
aceshooter01
New Producer
New Producer

Postby 6/0 Penn hunter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:50 pm

I have two 12' AR one with a Penn 555 that casts a mile :) the other one has a 113W on it and is my heavy chuncking rod. Both have landed sharks and other big fish.. Its just plan fun launching these and watching them go wayyyyyyyyyy out there.
6/0 Penn hunter
Steve Pasowicz
Steve Pasowicz

Postby Bernie4 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 pm

I would love to be able to huck a bait a mile but seriously, can't even throw out a bass rig with a lure on a baitcacter without rats nesting. Maybe it's easier with larger gear, idk. Would take Mike up on his offer to cast his but don't want to have to respool his rig when we're done cutting the line off.

Anywho, found a brass-spooled 114 for $75 and a 113, brass also, for $80 so if I decide to go with something I can cast, at least I found some of the US built ones.
Bernie4

Postby surf » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:28 am

I feel your pain, I couldn't use a casting reel to save my life. So i've always used spinners. When my dad passed a few years ago, I found one of his old 309's and just had to use it for sentimeniel reasons. It gave me fits, but I stuck with it. Then one day will looking at fishing sites I found a topic about "magging" reels. I studied all the info and even learned more about eddy currents than I really wanted to know. I magged it and couldn't believe the difference, I can actually cast it without a backlash, a dream come true. My nephew had the same problem with his new 330gti, so I magged it, now he can throw it a country mile without even thinking about a backlash.
I've never thrown a 113 or a 114, but don't see why it won't work on one. Look in the reel and tackle maintenance section and you'll find all the info on how to mag reels. There has been several really good post on the topic. Some would tell you the brass spools won't work, but my 309 is a brass spool and it works just fine.
surf
Charles Waldmeier
Charles Waldmeier

Postby Bernie4 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks surf, that's some really good info!. I'll have to look into that.
Bernie4

Postby Tattooed-N-TX » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:42 am

Here is what I know from experience. Maybe this will help.

Casting reels.......The Penn 4/0HLW can be casted but casting it is painfully difficult if you are not experienced. You will be able to cast with one but your bait probably wont travel huge distances with an inexperienced cast. For casting on the cheap I would recommend a Penn Jigmaster. This reel is super easy to maintain and if you find that you absolutely cannot cast for some reason you are not out a bunch of money having bought this reel. I recently bought a Daiwa Saltist and it is a dream to fish with! It is definitely more expensive than a Jigmaster but I enjoy casting with it. Whatever you choose make sure you stick to the smaller side so that you have good control otherwise I fear that you might HATE casting with a big bulky reel. Check line capacities of each reel and see what fits your hand well.

Casting rods......There are a lot of brands out there to choose from. The Ocean Masters and FTU rods are my favorite but that being said I fish with American Rodsmiths rods simply because of their price. The quality of the Ocean Master is top notch. Choose what you like but get either a 10ft. or 12ft. rod. 12ft. rods will let you cast farther but are bulkier. 10ft. rods will shorten your casting distance but are lighter and more manageable than a 12ft. rod. I like 12 ft. rods because of the extra distance I get from my cast on a 12ft. rod.

Rods/reels for kayaking baits......You know the drill on this one. You have an awesome set up with the 9/0 & Mariner. I like a bit of variety with my tackle. Have you looked at the Daiwa 900H or something other than a Penn reel? I like the smaller reels because the fight is better with lighter tackle in my opinion.

Overall.....I would go with a casting set up if I were you. That way you have some variety in your arsenal. Some days you might not feel like taking your kayak and your big rods/reels to the beach. If you have a casted set up you can definitely fish but you are heavy gear free.....so to speak. What about a big spinning rod/reel? They are a bit more user friendly.

I hope this helps out. If I see you on the beach soon you are more than welcome to try out my casted setups to determine what you like about each combo.

Good luck to ya,

TnT
Tattooed-N-TX
Texas Sharker
Texas Sharker

Postby Bernie4 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks TNT, that info is "dynomite!" Sorry, I've been waiting for that opportunity and could'nt pass it by.

Seriously though, it seems the bend of the coversation is on a casting rig and that is more the direction I am leaning now. I appreciate all the input for like I said, I want to get the most bang for my $.
Bernie4

Postby jamesgrogers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:19 pm

as far as reels go have you checked out the Diawa xSHA models I have just ordered one, It will be here on Friday I checked out Clevrrr's SHA 50 at the HI meet and was really impressed with it, the 40 and 50 size have impressive line capacities for the size of the reel and are still very castable with a 12 foot + rod.

James
jamesgrogers

Postby surf » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:46 pm

If you want a good all round spinning setup, I use a penn 950ssm on an 11.5' pinacle shoreline classic with 30lb bbg.
it's good for reds and any shark under 5', it'll also catch bait depending on your leader size.
Just thought I'd put this out there for different options.
surf
Charles Waldmeier
Charles Waldmeier

rod length

Postby landlubber » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:44 pm

ck out FTU for the rod and consider looking at the Newell P-series 338 sweeeeeeet. dude you gotta practice on dry land. I did. take a bottle of water for the reel. good luck.
landlubber

Postby Bernie4 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:28 pm

So I've decided to go with a casting rig after weighing all the advice. thanks to all those who offered it up.

Went to Bass Pro this morning and bit the bullet on a 10' OM casting rod, OM10SC. I want to build up to the 12' rod, someday maybe.

Got a lot of good info from redfishrunner last nite at the DFW/North Texas get together. He did a bang up job and all you surf/pier fishers are gonna love what he, fost and the mods are putting together.

Leaning towards a Senator 113 although might go for a squidder or Abu 10,000. I spent more than I was planning on the rod so that's why I'm leaning towards the 113 with a mag job.

Thanks again guys.
Bernie4

Postby RoboSharker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm not very good at casting a conventional reel, but even I can throw the x50sha. A good tip is to wet the line with some fresh water before you cast it (learned that trick from The Dog).
RoboSharker
Rich Paxton
Rich Paxton

Postby RoboSharker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:51 pm

surf wrote:If you want a good all round spinning setup, I use a penn 950ssm on an 11.5' pinacle shoreline classic with 30lb bbg.
it's good for reds and any shark under 5', it'll also catch bait depending on your leader size.
Just thought I'd put this out there for different options.

I agree with this as well. I have a Penn 950ssm on a 12 foot AR surf rod. Its probably my favorite.
RoboSharker
Rich Paxton
Rich Paxton

Postby Bernie4 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:44 pm

SharkinAggie wrote:.

If you are leaning more on a casting rig for shark, go with the Penn 4/0. Fill it with braid and a mono top shot. There should be a couple of post in the reel maintenance section on how to mag them which will make casting a dream. Put it on a OM 12' Heavy action rod and you are ready to go. With the reel filled with braid, you can use it as a yaked reel as well, similar to what fish-n-ag does.

-SA

Decided to go this route except with a 10' OM. I know you recommend a braid with mono topshot but can you be more specific?

On agg's 6/0's he recommends 80 and 80 but what would you use for a 4/0 and still be able to cast?

Thanks brother!
Bernie4

Postby Bernie4 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:11 pm

Well, here she is...

Penn 113H on a OM10SC. Spooled up with 500yds-50# Spectra and a 250yd-50# mono topshot.

Thanks for all the input on this rig guys! I'll be breaking her in this coming weekend @ Sun Oil if anyone wants to meet up. Plan on fishing 60 hours straight (ok, I might take a nap in there somewhere) from midnight Friday to Monday @ noon. Stop by and say hi, I have a silver Nissan Titan 4wd.

Bernie4
Bernie4

Postby Bernie4 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:53 pm

So I took her out for a spin @ a local park today and was pretty pleased with the results. I finished an hour long session nailing 45yds every cast without backlash. Not bad for a 1st time I guess. Can't wait 'til I get it magged up though.

Here's the rub. No matter what I did, could not break past 45yds. Release angle, pendulum, stand still, all the same. I'm sure this will change as I learn better technique and practice more, or not.

Is this just a result of the setup I have or is there some tweaking that can be done? I know more practice is needed...

Looking forward to your input.

Bernie4

EDIT: 4 OZ bank weight for practice
Bernie4

Postby Dorsal Dan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Bernie4 wrote:So I took her out for a spin @ a local park today and was pretty pleased with the results. I finished an hour long session nailing 45yds every cast without backlash. Not bad for a 1st time I guess. Can't wait 'til I get it magged up though.

Here's the rub. No matter what I did, could not break past 45yds. Release angle, pendulum, stand still, all the same. I'm sure this will change as I learn better technique and practice more, or not.

Is this just a result of the setup I have or is there some tweaking that can be done? I know more practice is needed...

Looking forward to your input.

Bernie4

EDIT: 4 OZ bank weight for practice

45yds is pretty good considering you re casting 50lb mono on a reel you have no experience with. The reality is, that if you
stand on the back side of the sand bar of your pickin, you only need to cast 20ish yds to hit the gut(if not less). You re good to go!!
Dorsal Dan
Daniel Sherman
Daniel Sherman

Postby 6/0 Penn hunter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Bernie4

You made a good choice, I have a 113HLW lined with 40# BBG & 14' of 50# for top shot on a 12AR. loaded with 6oz weight and use a hunk of bait it will really reach out there. One thing you may want to invest in good pair of leather gloves when casting. My thumb has paid the buring price several times...

One problem i did run into with the braid / mono combo was the spool would spin faster once it hit the braid and talk about picking for hours LOL

Since I went to a straight 40 the rig has casted great..

BTY this was the combo that landed my 8' Bull.
6/0 Penn hunter
Steve Pasowicz
Steve Pasowicz

Postby Bernie4 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:28 pm

Thanks Dan, that gives me a boost of confidence heading into this weekend.

Oh, one more thing guys. So I had the foresight to wear a leather work glove on my thumbing/right hand. My first cast I realized this was a wise idea. Is that standard or will technique eventually allow for a glove-less cast?
Bernie4

Postby redfishrunner » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:50 pm

As you get better at it, you'll lose the glove and gain a nice callous on your thumb....dont forget to wet your line a little bit with FRESh clean water and that will act as a sort of lubricant....throw it out there, keep light thumb pressure on the line and as soon as the bait and weight hits the water....lock it down with your thumb to stop the spool and then you can gently ease off again to allow everything to sink.

Mike fom Dallas
redfishrunner
Surf Master
Surf Master

Postby txredneck68 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:37 pm

a little trick some use
[web]http://tx-sharkfishing.com/fishingarticles/using-surgical-tubing-for-long-distance-power-casting/[/web]
txredneck68
Dusty Jackson
Dusty Jackson

Return to INTERNATIONAL LAND BASED SHARK FISHING FORUM